Saturday, April 18, 2015

Gangneung: A Home of the Great Mother and the Prominent Scholar

Vince, my husband, has been wanting to witness the Gangneung Danoje Festival.  The Danoje Festival is a festival related to shamanism celebrated by the people of Gangneung.
Gangneung is aroung 6 hours away from Gumi by train. We left home at around 10:00 P.M. and took a train from Daegu at 12:02 A.M. I was glad that I was able to sleep on the train. I woke up around 5:30 A.M. As soon as I opened my eyes, the beauty of nature was revealed to me. I  saw the river flowing with crystal clear water and the mountains were covered by verdant trees. I didn't close my eyes again because I was afraid to lose any of the beautiful scenery.  The train passed by a farm covered with golden brown wheat. Then I saw a creek with sparkling water. Along the creek there were bright yellow one eyed Susans. I enjoyed watching them from the trains window.

About thirty minutes later, the train stopped at Jeongdongjin Station (정동진 역). I saw the sun rising over the ocean. It was a very beautiful view.  Actually, one of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen. I would certainly go back there to watch it.


After a few minutes, the train left and then it stopped at Gangneung Station. We got off and then we looked for the bus stop. We got on bus #202 and got off at Ojukheon Entrance (오죽헌 입고). It was still very early so we decided to walk around. There was a paved walking path near the bus stop. There were colorful poppy flowers on the side of the walking path. We spent our time taking pictures of the poppy flowers and the bees.







This is one of my favorite photos.
Aside from poppy flowers, there were yellow cosmos...



and blue cornflowers there too.


I was like the bees transferring from flower to flower. I couldn't get enough of them. They were so lovely and attractive.

Then it was time to go. We headed to Ojukheon. My husband bought the tickets.



Vince buying the tickets....
We entered the gate. The place was very quiet. There was a few visitors. The first thing we saw inside the compound was the statue of Yi I (이이). His pen name is Yulgok, in which he was often referred to. He was one of the two famous Confucian scholars of the Joseon Dynasty. He is the man on the South Korean banknote, the 5000 won.


Yulgok Yi I

I searched online for a picture of the old South Korean banknote, the 5000 won. Here is a link to the photo.

My husband and I found the exact place where the picture at the back of the 5000 won bill was taken and we tried to make our own. Here's the picture I had taken.



We explored Ojukheon and found the building where Sin Saimdang gave birth to Yi I.




We also found a seated bronze statue of the notable Joseon Dynasty artist, calligrapher, poet, and most of all, a great wife to her husband and mother to his son, Yi I. She appears on the South Korean banknote, the 50,000 won. One of her paintings appears on the back of the South Korean banknote, the 50,000  won.


It is the statue of Shin Sa Im Dang

The sun was already high when we finished walking around Ojukheon. We decided to go to a coffee shop nearby.


Then we headed to the beach....


No comments:

Post a Comment